This test is usually performed between 11- 13 weeks gestation
It comprises a blood test and an ultrasound scan of the baby’s neck to see if there is any fluid present.
A baby with more fluid in the neck area may have Down syndrome
- The results are available within 24 hours
- May give the mother peace of mind that the baby is ok
- If carrying more than one baby, the blood test is unreliable, as they cannot determine which baby is comes from
- Older aged mothers test may come back positive – even though the baby is ok
- This test can only determine if you baby is at risk of being born with Down syndrome as opposed to a Diagnostic
- May make the mother feel stressed if the test is positive
- Some mothers may feel discomfort from the blood test
Detection rate is about 90%, however an inexperienced sonographer may underestimate nuchal thickness.